2014

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Penguin

I had a sudden urge to write here today. Which surprised me since I haven’t really wanted to do much with my blog lately. It’s been a strange, strange year. For most of it, I felt like this penguin looks: startled and wondering what’s happening. The wonderful absurdity of this image encapsulates my year. I re-read my last post yesterday while everyone else was probably celebrating Christmas with family. I had a quiet day of reading and watching TV in bed, which was absolutely fine by me. I haven’t had a chance to do nothing for ages. I had some proper time to think as well and a few things started to sink in.

I’m mainly writing this to make it seem real: I got a new job! It’s a permanent job too, not a contract one. This kind of job security is alien to me. When I read my previous post yesterday, I felt it was written last year, rather than only last month. So much has happened since, and it was written with a sense of uncertainty. This uncertainty is no longer and I’m still trying to wrap my head around that shift.

My new position is Lecturer in English Literature at De Montfort University in Leicester, England. I’m moving to England in April and I’d appreciate any tips people could offer me. Especially since I’m now looking for a place to live in Leicester.

I have worked hard to get this position. I doubted all this hard work would lead to something concrete, but it has. I’m saying this for the benefit of people who have emailed me, and my friends, who are have likewise been searching for stable full-time work in academia. It is a difficult climate right now, as we all know. But my friend told me that whenever one of us manages to get a good position, it’s like a glimmer of hope.

So Hila, say it with me now: You’re moving to England. You got a permanent job. In academia. You get to research and write and teach – all things you love. You are very lucky, but you have also earned this.

I will hopefully believe this all soon.

P.S. I’ve joined Instagram, here I am. You may be seeing mainly photos related to packing, books, my cat and me cataloguing Perth’s sky before I move over the next few months. As is already evident ...

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

I also still have some ‘This Year’ prints, if anyone would like to buy one for the new year (email me).

Instagram

2014, you will be a big year.

Image credit: A member of the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition plays the bagpipe for a penguin, 1904.

10 comments:

Sera said...

How wonderful! Go you :) definitely deserved! Enjoy (I hope) the rest of your downtime.

Sera

Sasha said...

First, a MAJOR congratulations on landing a stable job in academia. This has been a major theme among my cohort and many of my fellow graduate students in different programs lately and I'm still a long way from finishing but I can see panic and uncertainty among friends. Your hard work has paid off and you deserve it!

Second, I'm off to instagram right now to follow you!

Have a wonderful start to your new year!

L▲UR▲TJ said...

Congrats on the new job Hila and good luck with packing and moving to England, such exciting news! Here's to a new big year!

Rambling Tart said...

I am over the moon happy for you, Hila!!! :-) So thrilled, excited, can't stop smiling whenever I think of you living out your dream in England. :-) I'm so glad the uncertainty is gone, SO glad all your incredible hard work and dedication is being rewarded at last. I wish you a wonderful place to live that makes you happy to return home every night, dear friends in Leicester who value you and make your heart happy, and great students who make teaching them an absolute joy. XO

helen tilston said...

Hello Hila

Congratulations and well deserved. Your road ahead is exciting and so many new and wonderful experiences await you.

Wishing you a very Happy 2014
Helenxx

Ana said...

Good news! Congrats Hila! I've never been to Leicester, but if you ever need something in London, I now know a thing or two. Happy 2014 (: xx

Claire McNeill said...

Congratulations, Hila! Well-deserved and exciting.

rooth said...

Big congrats to you and your new job - I know the move is going to be a major change but I only see good things for you in 2014

Caz Ard said...

Congratulations on your new job. A big smile from me when I realised that you've got a new job working at the University I did my degree at. It's been 7 years since I graduated from Demontfort, but I have very fond memories of the place :-)))

Hila said...

Sera: Thank you :)

Sasha: Thank you! Yes, that panic and uncertainty is familiar to me - it's been my constant companion for the past few years. This is why I encourage anyone who wants to pursue an academic career to start working on your CV early on in your PhD, not when you finish it.

Laura: Thanks!

Krista: You're very sweet :) I hope for all of those things, and most importantly, to make good friends that will make Leicester feel like home quickly.

Helen: You too Helen, and thank you very much.

Ana: I may take you up on that :)

Claire: Thank you!

Rooth: I hope so!

Caz: I've only heard good things about DMU, so that's encouraging.